This manual is for refilling original HP (OEM) cartridges. If you have a BCH refillable cartridge, please visit this link: https://support.bchtechnologies.com/hc/en-us/articles/207503273
If you are new to refill, please watch this video about integrated cartridges. You will have a better understanding of how refill works and how to deal with different situations.
1. Using a toothpick or needle, run it across the top of the cartridge on the manufacturer's label and locate refill holes. Once you locate the refill holes (see diagram below), carefully pierce through the label. Please try to locate the holes WITHOUT REMOVING the manufacture's label, as it is much easier to refill.
For HP 61: HP is making two versions of the 61 cartridges where the magenta and yellow chambers are reversed. So check the color sequence before refilling. HP's air hole is big enough for needle to pass, so you will not need to drill.
2. Attach needle to the syringe and load the syringe with correct color ink. You cannot overfill the regular cartridges and make them "XL". They have different configurations inside.
|Regular||1.5 ml||4 ml|
|XL||2.5 ml||7 ml|
4. Insert needle into correct refill hole. You should feel the sponge. Press down on the sponge and start injecting ink.
6. SLOWLY inject the ink into the cartridge. Stop if the ink begins to well up from the fill hole.
7. Clean off the top of the cartridge. Place a piece of Scotch transparent tape on the hole (optional).
8. Reinstall in the printer and run one or two cleaning cycles until the cartridge begins to print correctly. Do not exceed three cleaning cycles.
9. If the cartridge is not printing correctly, the refill process may introduce air bubbles on the bottom of the cartridge. Let the cartridge sit in the printer overnight and the bubbles will be gone.
10. The printer may complain about "low ink" or "ink depleted." You can hit "OK" or "Yes" to dismiss those warnings and keep printing. The printer will not track the ink level after refill. Keep an eye on the print quality. Refill as needed.
11. If the error message is "cartridge cannot be found", "cartridge must be replaced," take the cartridge out. Clean the contact ribbon and re-insert cartridge. If the error won't go away, the cartridge is damaged and needs to be replaced.