Lexmark offers two kinds of cartridges:
- Non-refillable “Return Program” version: #14, #23, #28, #36. You are supposed to return the empty cartridge to Lexmark and get a $5 coupon towards future purchase.
- Refillable “A” version: #14A, #23A, #28A, #36A which can be easily refilled and they are about $5 more expensive than the non-refillable cartridges.
Before opening your product, please perform printer nozzle tests to ensure your printer is in good condition. If your printer has produced a perfect result, please attach a copy of the nozzle check to your purchase receipt as this will validate your warranty. You can now proceed.
If your printer has printed with missing lines or uneven coloring, please repeat head cleaning. If your second print is similar to the first, let your printer sit 2-3 hours then run another nozzle check. If you still see broken lines, then do another head cleaning and let it sit 3-4 hours. Sometimes it takes 3-4 head cleanings. DO NOT run more than 3 head cleanings in a row without sitting your printer for few hours. If your printer still has broken lines, you more than likely have damaged printer heads and you will need them replaced.
1. Locate the vent holes on the top of cartridge. Use a drill to make/enlarge a refill hole.
2. Attach needle to syringe and load syringe with ink.
3. SLOWLY inject the ink into the cartridge. Stop if the ink begins to well up from the fill hole. DO NOT OVERFILL.
4. Clean off the cartridge. Re-insert the plugs.
5. Reinstall in printer and run one or two cleaning cycles until the cartridge begins to print correctly. Do not exceed three cleaning cycles.
PLEASE NOTE: Should the cartridge print in streaks, first refill the cartridge, then start a cleaning cycle with your printer software. If the problem remains, fill a bowl with ½ inch of warm water (max temperature 90F) and soak the cartridge in it for 1 to 2 hours. Use an empty syringe without needle to pressure air from above into the openings. By doing so produce a high pressure within the ink chambers, and press the air bubbles out of the nozzle chamber.