Lexmark offers two kinds of cartridges:
- Non-refillable “Return Program” version: #100 and #150. You are supposed to return the empty cartridge to Lexmark and get a $5 coupon towards future purchase.
- Refillable “A” version: #100 XLA and #150 XLA which can be easily refilled and they are about $5 more expensive than the non-refillable cartridges.
Before opening your product, please perform printer nozzle tests to ensure your printer is in good condition. If your printer has produced a perfect result, please attach a copy of the nozzle check to your purchase receipt as this will validate your warranty. You can now proceed.
If your printer has printed with missing lines or uneven coloring, please repeat head cleaning. If your second print is similar to the first, let your printer sit 2-3 hours then run another nozzle check. If you still see broken lines, then do another head cleaning and let it sit 3-4 hours. Sometimes it takes 3-4 head cleanings. DO NOT run more than 3 head cleanings in a row without sitting your printer for few hours. If your printer still has broken lines, you more than likely have damaged printer heads and you will need them replaced.
1. Remove cartridge label. Locate the refill holes in the middle of cartridge.
2. Attach needle to syringe and load syringe with ink.
3. Use a tooth pick to poke inside hole, verify the color sequence. Insert needle into correct cartridge ink hole.
4. SLOWLY inject the ink into the cartridge. Stop if the ink begins to well up from the fill hole. DO NOT OVERFILL.
5. Clean off top of cartridge.
6. Repeat steps until all colors have been filled. Place scotch tape over the top of the cartridge so it covers every hole. Use a pin and put a small hole (vent hole) through the scotch tape for each hole on the top of the cartridge.
7. Clean off the cartridge. Re-insert the cartridge into printer.
8. Reinstall in printer and run one or two cleaning cycles until the cartridge begins to print correctly. Do not exceed three cleaning cycles.
PLEASE NOTE: Resetting the filing level indicator is unfortunately not possible with this type of cartridges. You can ignore the error message by selecting “OK”. Knowing that the ink level cannot be correctly determined anymore, please refill the cartridge as soon as you see faded colors. Should the cartridge print in streaks, first refill the cartridge, then start a cleaning cycle with your printer software.