- You cannot reset the ink level to full. Canon's ink indicator is inaccurate for refilled cartridges. Once it stops you from printing and asks you to cancel, DO NOT CANCEL, hold down the triangle button for 10 seconds to turn off the ink indicator. Keep an eye on print quality. Please refill the cartridge as soon as you see faded colors.
- If you don't want to read and just want to watch YouTube videos, we have a watching guide, classified by skill levels (Click here), from newbie to advanced.
If you are new to the refill world, please watch this video. Make sure you do it at a place that can tolerate a spill. Wear old clothes, gloves, and eye protection.
Here is how people usually do it:
Here is how we do it:
We refill Canon cartridges this way, using 245/246 as an example. It has pros and cons. Please see the traditional drill-and-refill method too, see which way you prefer. This method involves cutting with a sharp knife. Do it with an abundance of caution.
For a traditional drill-and-refill method, read on.
1. Remove cartridge label. Locate the vent holes on the top of cartridge.
2. Attach needle to the syringe and load the syringe with ink. Use the small drill to enlarge the hole. Try to make the hole wider, and move hand in circular motion. Use a power drill or hand drill if you prefer.
3. Use a toothpick to poke inside the hole, verify the color sequence. Insert needle into correct cartridge ink hole. Make sure needle reaches to the bottom of cartridge. 7 ml (or 7 squeezes) for Black and 3 ml for color.
4. SLOWLY inject the ink into the cartridge. Stop if the ink begins to well up from the fill hole. DO NOT OVERFILL.
5. Clean off top of cartridge
6. Repeat steps until all colors have been filled. Place scotch tape over the top of the cartridge so it covers every hole. Use a pin and put a small hole (vent hole) through the scotch tape for each hole on the top of the cartridge.
7. Clean off the cartridge. Reinstall in the printer and run one or two cleaning cycles until the cartridge begins to print correctly. Do not exceed three cleaning cycles.
Reset cartridge indicator:
PLEASE NOTE: Please refill the cartridge as soon as you see faded colors. Should the cartridge print in streaks, first refill the cartridge, then start a cleaning cycle with your printer software. If the problem remains, fill a bowl with a ½ inch of warm water (max temperature 90F) and soak the cartridge in it for 1 to 2 hours. Use an empty syringe without a needle to pressure air from above into the openings. By doing so produce a high pressure within the ink chambers, and press the air bubbles out of the nozzle chamber.